Tales of my furniture makeovers and great DIY projects...

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

A girly bedroom set

First, let me say again, I'll NEVER win any bloggy awards or any such accolades as my photography sucks!  Honestly, it's just one more thing to do on a long list of an already busy person.  So, forgive me.  I hope you can still appreciate the beauty in some of my transformations!

Now, onto the main event...

I happened to be riding by a yard sale, unexpectedly.  It was a Friday after all, very few of those.  I wasn't even looking, but spotted some furniture.  Screeeeech...I stopped and loaded up a bedroom set the poor guy just wanted to unload.  He had NO idea why I wanted it.  Why?  Don't you realize crap like that can be painted!!??

My "before" pics are limited because I got a new phone.  My old phone was wiped clean.  Yeah, refer to first paragraph.  But, it was this kind, you all know what I'm talking about, right?  The beigy 70's style with gold trim, we all knew someone with this set growing up, right?



Now, I'm not quite sure what size bedroom this person had, but I bought matching twin headboard, footboard, rails, 2 dressers, one with a hutch, nightstand AND matching desk.  I realized that nobody could fit all of that in one room so I redid the bed, nightstand, one dresser and desk as a set.  I will do the other dresser with big hutch some other time.

As I painted, I realized this was a set that I didn't want to distress.  I also didn't feel it was a set that would benefit from the ASCP paint.  So, I got my handy dandy Zinsser primer and good old fashioned regular paint and went to town.  I added Floetrol to the paint to reduce the brush strokes:


A bit of this in latex paint will increase the drying time, but in doing so, reduces the brush strokes and gives it a cleaner finish. 

As I stared at the plain white furniture I became a little discouraged.  I mean, anyone can slap a coat of white paint on some furniture, right?  Where was my creativity?  What would make it stand out a bit?  So, I mixed some of the white paint with some green paint I had and came up with a fab minty, sagey, light accent color that I carefully (with a teeny tiny brush) handpainted through all the spots where the gold trim was.  Then, I used the same green to paint the drawer pulls to pull it together.  I thought painting the pulls the same green would be kinda "kitchy" if you know what I mean.  I wasn't too sure, but it turned out so much prettier than I ever thought it would.  It's still your basic white set, but with just a small pop of interest.  SOOOOOOO perfect for a sweet little girl!





Here is an inside pic, but a close up so you can see the subtle green accents:



And, the whole set together:


This sold within hours of posting.  My husband delivered it and he told me the little girls room he helped carry it to was painted almost the exact color green as my accents, like it was meant to be there!  Am I a total dork that the thought of that makes me happy? 

Now, I think I'm going to totally glam up the other dresser....maybe some HOT pink?

Sharing at:


and:







5 comments:

  1. Oh how pretty! And I love when something I paint finds a happy new home. I bet you are thrilled!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the set!
    Just wanted to say I really enjoy the blog, glad I found it :)
    I've actually added a link to here from my site under 'my favourite inspirations' so I hope other people come and see how awesome some of these projects are.
    All the best!
    Shaleeta
    freetofurnished.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you for such lovely inspiration! found you at MMS's link party, always a favorite!

    hope you can swing by:
    http://hellolovelyinc.blogspot.com/2012/07/summer-sale-giveaway.html

    smiles to you.

    michele

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice subtle color and someone else thought so too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have my whole set.. Canopy bed, chest, night stand, desk and 3 section dresser. I am 43 and I have had it since before being born... Too funny

    ReplyDelete