Tales of my furniture makeovers and great DIY projects...

Saturday, June 23, 2012

A great set!

Do you ever have one of those Craigslist finds that really just seem to be too good to be true?  Well, this was mine. 

I had just gotten to work and while I was checking messages and returning calls I decided to browse Craigslist.  Then, I saw them.  The ad simply was titled "china hutch and buffet" but the price was low enough so I opened up the ad.  I immediately sent an email to the seller inquiring about them 100% certain that he would tell me, so sorry, already sold.  But, he answered right away.  They were still available.  He had someone coming at 3:00 that afternoon to look, but if I wanted and could come before then, I could!  So, like any furniture addict who is at her full time job and dressed in a suit and heels, I took an early lunch hour and RAN.  Now, before everyone yells at me about safety issues, the guy told me they were already sitting outside in his driveway.  I figured I could do a "drive by" to asses the situation.  They were outside and he lived in a busy neighborhood, so out of the truck I hopped!  I made my quick purchase, he loaded my pick up truck and back to work I went. 

This is what I looked like parked in the parking deck.  I seriously just prayed nobody would steal them in the few hours I had left!


I'm pretty sure most people have given up on me!

Here is what I got:


AND!


First, don't get excited about the wheels, they didn't go with the pieces.  The original wooden ones had broken and the man just replaced them with up to date ones that totally didn't match, so I took them off. 

My biggest regret is that my pictures of this whole redo suck!  They sold so lightening fast that I didn't get good ones.  Boo.

I stripped and sanded the top of the sideboard and restained it a lovely dark walnut.  I painted the rest Old White, distressed heavily, then topped with clear wax.  Seriously, I loved this.  I should have kept it.  But, I didn't and now I'll have to pine away for her the rest of my life.  Or, maybe not.  Can you believe after looking for one of these for over a year, the same day this sold I found another one for a steal! 

Then, I took the doors off the china cabinet, painted the inside Louis Blue, the outside Old White, again heavily distressed it, topped with clear wax.  I cleaned the glass real good reattached the door.  Sigh, I will be pining for her.  Pine.  Pine.  Pine. 


And, the sideboard:


Okay, maybe I will still pine away.  Sigh.  I love this. 

If you are anything like me and were never able to form a meaningful relationship with poly, dark wax on top of a stained wood top is pure heaven.  Smmmmoooootttttthhhhhhhhh!  It just adds an additional richness to the color and I'll probably never use poly again.

The good news in all my pining is that the same lady bought both pieces and they will go in her dining room.  She lives in an old farmhouse that is in the middle of a renovation and she is trying hard to keep the reno as true to the style of the house as she can.  They will be so happy there!

Sharing at:





2 comments:

  1. what a find! and it looks a beautiful! love the wood top!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry your redo pictures didn't turn out, but the good news is: the pieces DID!!! Wow they look terrific! Lucky lady who bought them!
    Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete